Thursday, October 10, 2013

Nasib baik my SV is not British



Amongst the main element in a PhD is the supervisor (SV). Yang tu semua PhD candidates setuju la. Hala tuju, masa depan semua di tangan dia... errr..I mean di tangan Allah, actually. Hehehe.

I have just had a meeting with my SVs after a long 3,4weeks of yay-hidup-bebas-sesuka-hati. Tadi Alhamdulillah... meeting berjalan lancar, berkat doa Abah dan all my loved ones (you know who you are).
My past week has been horrible. Tido lambat, stay back kat ofis sampai dah nak habis waktu Maghrib, long weekend (due to Labour Day) pun menghadap data. Hence the sawang-sawang kat blog ni setelah terabai 2 minggu. 
Dua tiga hari ni makan pun tak lalu sangat, walhal biasanya aku la melantak macam bela hantu raya.

Cenggini la jadinya bila nak kena hadap SV. I mean, nak impress diorang. Speaking of this, my SV is an Italian Aussie. Tapi nasib baik la dia cakap tak pekat sangat Aussie accent tu. So far dah setahun lebih ni, aku faham lagi la apa yang dia cakap.

Lepas abis meeting, tetiba aku teringat lak pasal the politeness of Britons.
I found this...

WHAT THE BRITISH SAY WHAT THE BRITISH MEAN
WHAT FOREIGNERS UNDERSTAND

I hear what you say 

I disagree and do not want to discuss it further He accepts my point of view
*With the greatest respect You are an idiot He is listening to me

That's not bad 
That's good That's poor
 
That is a very brave proposal

You are insane 

He thinks I have courage

Quite good

A bit disappointing

Quite good
I would suggest 
Do it or be prepared to justify yourself

Think about the idea, but do what you like
Oh, incidentally/ by the way
The primary purpose of our discussion is
That is not very important

I was a bit disappointed that

I am annoyed that

It doesn't really matter

*Very interesting

That is clearly nonsense

They are impressed

I'll bear it in mind

I've forgotten it already

They will probably do it
I'm sure it's my fault It's your fault
Why do they think it was their fault?
You must come for dinner
It's not an invitation, I'm just being polite
I will get an invitation soon

I almost agree

I don't agree at all
He's not far from agreement

I only have a few minor comments
Please rewrite completely He has found a few typos

Could we consider some other options
I don't like your idea They have not yet decided



Cer tengok balik... as simple as 'I'm sure it's my fault', can actually means 'it's your fault'. 
Gagagaga! Gila wehhh...


It also reveals that 'very interesting' can often mean 'that is clearly nonsense' 
Homaiiiiii :-O
 
Errr..on second thought, my co-SV is a British Aussie (British descendant). Agak-agak selama ni dia berbual dengan aku guna kekdah ni ke tak ekkk?
@_@


p/s:
The author of the table is unconfirmed, but it is thought it may have originally been drawn up by a Dutch company as an attempt to help employees working in the UK.

p/s/s:


3 comments:

  1. my phd SV british on passport, tp sbb dia brazilian dia adalah straight fwd. phew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kenapa tak terus terang..? hahaha..

    ikut cakap p ramlee.. "cakap bia teghangg!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wah ayat berbunga2! Kalau aku mmg sah x paham la. Sastera aku faileddddd

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!
Feel free to leave comments here.

Nuffnang ads

My Heartbeat